Human Element Leadership & Management (Operational level) - HELM(O)
£380 GBP(incl. VAT)
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ HELM (Operational)
- Training School:
- Fire Aid Academy Ltd
- Hythe, Southampton, United Kingdom
- 3 days
This course provides students with the education and training necessary to control the operation of a ship and care for persons on board at the operational level by the application of resource management, leadership and team-working skills.
Certification will raise an officer to a level meeting the knowledge, understanding and proficiency (KUP) requirements set out in the following parts of the STCW:
- Table A-II/1 (Officer in charge of a navigational watch)
- Table A-III/1 (Officer in charge of an engineering watch)
- Table A-III/6 (Electro-technical officer)
A hands-on practical training approach is taken to deliver this course in which lectures, videos, group discussion and scenario based exercises combine with student presentations that form a compulsory part of training and final assessment.
Completion of the course will enable a student to:
- Identify good practice in shipboard human resource management
- Identify the importance of the ‘human element’ in shipboard operations
- Apply the underpinning knowledge of maritime conventions and recommendations, national regulations, and codes of practice and guidelines covered in other mandatory units
- Apply the elements of task and workload management, including planning, coordination, allocation and prioritisation of human and physical resources
- Apply effective resource management techniques
- Apply the principles and practice of good decision making
- Manage stress and fatigue by understanding the causes and implementing strategies to prevent them affecting safety
- Contribute to shipboard training, learning, assessing and developing human potential
Please note that the number of course spaces listed as available on this site may not be correct as it is not linked to our website. For the most up to date course availability please check the 'Bookings' section on our website.