MCA Approved Basic Polar Code Training
£1,620 GBP(incl. VAT)
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ Additional STCW courses
- Training School:
- Maritime Skills Academy
- Dover, Kent, United Kingdom
- 4 days
This MCA Approved Basic Polar Code Training aims to give seafarers on board ships operating in polar waters, in conjunction with the guidance provided in the Polar Code, the education and training covered within the STCW requirements.
Use of the full bridge simulator is integrated into the training to provide real life scenarios.
During the course, the learner will learn:
- About ice found in polar waters
- About the polar water regions where ice is found and related seasonal changes
- Understand vessel preparedness, performance and capability in polar water regions
- Understand emergency preparedness and response to emergencies in polar waters
- How to ensure compliance with pollution prevention requirements and how to prevent environmental hazards
- Understand how to use international and regional regulations and codes whilst operating in polar water.
- Contribute to the safe operation of vessels operating in polar waters.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with legislative requirements.
- Apply safe working practices, respond to emergencies.
- Ensure compliance with pollution prevention requirements and prevent environmental hazards.
The Maritime Skills Academy Polar Code Basic and Advanced courses follow the MCA guidelines on safely operating a vessel in the Arctic and Antarctic Water and are conducted at our Portsmouth training centre.
These courses have been developed by experienced Ice Captains and Ice pilots which are recognised leaders from the industry.
The courses consist of a series of classroom-based lectures with practical group activities and SIMULATION “hands-on” exercises.
There will be a formal assessment for each delegate at the end of the course.
Each delegate will receive a comprehensive handbook of 230 pages where all Ice Navigation aspects are described and will serve as a great reminder of the information and content when onboard.
Masters And Officers Undertaking This Basic Training Course Must Have Completed A Minimum Of Six Months Sea Time Onboard Any Vessel Operating In Any Waters.