Elementary First Aid (exclusively online, Liberia approved)
€49 EUR(incl. VAT)
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ Elementary First Aid
- Training School:
- online course
- 1 day
Course category: STCW Courses (Basic Training)
Certificate: A certificate is issued upon course completion, that allows seafarers to get their Competence Certificate anywhere, provided that such a successful completion certificate is fully supported and by all other documents required as per STCW or their National or Vessels Flag Administration requirements.
Learn how to use your SQLearn STCW certificates if you plan to serve on board Liberian flag vessels.
Approved by: Liberia
Who should attend: The course is open to all seafarers and prospective seafarers and should be completed prior to employment on a sea-going ship.
Objectives and Benefits: This course aims to provide the training for candidates to provide elementary first aid on board ship, in accordance with Section A-VI/1 of the STCW Code. This course covers the requirements of the 1995 STCW code Convention Chapter VI, Section AV/1, Table A-VI/1-3. On meeting the minimum standard of competence in elementary first aid, a trainee will be competent to take immediate action upon encountering an accident or medical emergency until the arrival of a person with medical first aid skills or the person in charge of medical care on board.
- Recognize the assessment of the needs of casualties and threats to a seafarer’s safety.
- Appreciate the body structure and functions.
- Understand the immediate measures to be taken in cases of emergency, including the ability to:
- position casualty.
- apply resuscitation techniques.
- control bleeding.
- apply appropriate measures in the event of burns and scalds, including accidents caused by electric current.
- rescue and transport of casualty.
- improvise bandages and use materials in the emergency kit.
Legislation & References:
- The International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1995 (STCW 1995), 1998 edition (IMO Sales No. 938E)
- Medical section (pages 111 to 148) of International Code of Signals, 1987 edition (IMO Sales No. 994E)
- Assembly Resolution A.438(XI) – Training and qualification of persons in charge of medical care aboard ship
- IMO/ILO Document for Guidance, 1985 (IMO Sales No. 935E)
- ILO/IMO/WHO International Medical Guide for Ships (IMGS), 2nd ed., (Geneva, World Health Organization, 1988)
- Medical First Aid Guide for Use in Accidents Involving Dangerous Goods (MFAG) (IMO Sales No. 251 E)
A Course Compendium is provided for use as a textbook. This contains selected extracts from ILO/IMO/WHO International Medical Guide for Ships (Ref R5)
Available language: English
Documents required to attend: After purchasing this course you shall receive instructions in order to provide the following documentation:
- Seafarer’s book
- Expired or pending to expire certificate
Documents should be received in PDF/PNG/JPG format. You can either scan or photograph them, please make sure that they are legible or the process will be delayed. Upon receiving those documents we shall review them and upon successful completion of the review process (allow for up to 48h during working days), you will receive access to the course using the credentials you specified during checkout.