Passage Planning with ECDIS
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ ECDIS
- Training School:
- online course
- 2 days
This course intends to provide you with the knowledge, skill, and understanding of passage planning with ECDIS and electronic charts data handling to the thorough extent needed to safely navigate vessels whose primary means of navigation is ECDIS. The course emphasizes specific requirements to passage planning, calculation of safety limits, usage of navigational functions, route analysis and ECDIS update, alert management, and route planning and monitoring.
Certification and approval
Upon successful completion of this course, you will receive a certificate.
The course is delivered through an online learning platform and consists of lectures, quizzes and case studies.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the legal requirements and common deficiencies related to passage planning with ECDIS
- Recognize the chart presentation and reliability issues in ECDIS, and how to use different types of electronic charts
- Manage the sensors and navigational functions in ECDIS, such as GPS, radar, AIS, depth sounder, gyrocompass, etc.
- Perform route analysis and ECDIS update using various tools and methods, such as route check, safety contour, safety depth, anti-grounding cone, chart update service, etc., and how to identify and avoid any hazards or errors in the route
- Set the safety limits and settings in ECDIS according to the vessel’s characteristics and the voyage plan, such as safety contour value, cross track distance, shallow contour value, deep contour value, etc., and how to use the navigational functions effectively
- Manage the alert system in ECDIS, such as alarms, indications, and warnings, and how to configure them according to the operational needs and preferences. Also, learn how to acknowledge and respond to any alerts appropriately
- Plan and monitor the route with ECDIS using various features and functions
- Legal requirements and common deficiencies
- Charts presentation and reliability
- Sensors and navigational functions
- Route analysis and ECDIS update
- Safety limits and settings
- Alert management
- Route planning and monitoring
Regulations and guidelines
This course is based on the following regulations and guidelines:
- SOLAS, Chapter V
- The International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW)
- IMO Model Course 1.27 Operational use of Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS)
- MSC 232(82) Revised performance standards for Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS)
- MSC 1503 ECDIS – Guidance for good practice
- INTERTANKO Guide to Safe Navigation (including ECDIS)
The Passage Planning with ECDIS course is for crew members, who are responsible for using ECDIS to plan and monitor the vessel’s route, and for performing all the navigational functions and tasks on ECDIS.