Efficient Deckhand (MCA Approved)
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ EDH (Efficient Deck Hand)
- Training School:
- South Shields Marine School
- South Shields, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
- 5 days
Course Title: Efficient Deckhand (MCA Approved)
Course Code: 107
The course covers aspects of practical Seamanship as required by the EDH syllabus contained in MGN 10 (M) to MGN 97(M) annex 1.
Documentation required - Discharge book or Record of Sea Service.
You must be aged 17 or over with a minimum of 6 months approved sea service in the deck department of sea going merchant ships and a navigational watch ratings certificate or a steering certificate.
The requirements for EDH have been amended to allow a more flexible approach for the yacht, workboat and fishing industry.
The following certification and experience will permit entry on to an EDH course and examination:
a) MCA accepted Yachtmaster Offshore certificate 2 and shore based course 3; b) Yacht Rating with at least 6 months sea service and a steering certificate or navigational watch ratings certificate;
c) Fishing Class 2 CoC or the Seafish 5 day watchkeeping course for under 16.5m fishing certificates;
d) BML Tier 1, level 2 certificate; or e) Tug rating with at least 6 months sea time (which may be in categorised water) and a steering certificate or NWR certificate. Note: before an EDH certificate can be issued, a minimum of 6 months sea service in vessels of more than 15m is required.
- Sea service in category C and D waters will be accepted at full rate.
- Royal Yachting Association (RYA) or International Yacht Training (IYT) certificates will be accepted.
- The Shore based Course is not required if you hold a Yachtmaster Offshore issued before 31 July 2003.