MCA STCW Elementary First Aid
£126 GBP(incl. VAT)
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ Elementary First Aid
- Training School:
- Emsworth School of Navigation
- Emsworth, Hampshire, United Kingdom
- 1 day
This one day MCA STCW Elementary First Aid course will give you knowledge of the immediate action to be taken upon encountering an accident or other medical emergency at sea. It forms part of the requirements for basic training for seafarers employed or engaged in any capacity on board ship.
The course which is a combination of theory and practical sessions will cover:
- Casualty assessment
- CPR and know how this differs on a drowned person
- How to turn a casualty into the recovery position and understand the importance of maintaining the airway
- Understanding of the effect of cold shock and how to treat hypothermia from immersion and exposure
- How to recognise the signs and implications of reduced responsiveness in a person with a head injury
- How to apply direct pressure to a wound and control bleeding.
- How to apply appropriate measures for basic shock management
- How to apply appropriate measures in the event of burns and scalds, including accidents caused by electric current
- Recognition and treatment of seasickness and dehydration
- How to obtain medical advice and assistance using the VHF radio
- How to rescue and transport a casualty
- How to prepare for helicopter evacuation
The course which is run from our training centre in Emsworth Yacht Harbour starts at 9.00am and finishes at approximately 5.00pm.
Tea, coffee and all equipment to complete the course including the St Johns / Red Cross First Aid Manual will be provided. You just need to bring a notepad. Lunch can be obtained from the Deck Cafe on site or the village which is a short walk away or alternatively bring a packed lunch with you
The MCA Elementary First Aid Course is in accordance with STCW 95, A-VI/(1-3).