STCW Personal Survival Techniques (Refresher)
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ Updated Proficiency in Personal Survival Techniques
- Training School:
- Red Ensign Maritime Training
- Cowes, United Kingdom
- 1 day
Under the Manila Amendments to the STCW Code, you are required to refresh your Personal Survival Technques certificate. By 1st January 2017 you will need to hold a certificates issued within the previous five years and the qualification must be renewed every five years thereafter.
The course is held weekly, usually on Monday, and is taught in a practical and realistic manner with the opportunity to jump into cold, tidal water and to work with others to refresh your survival techniques.
Content & Objectives
The purpose of this training is to give you the opportunity to refresh your knowledge and experience of personal survival principles and techniques which will maximise your chances of survival in the event of an emergency.
The refresher course is usually 4 hours long however, since our practical exercises are done in tidal waters it would not be practical for us to constantly change the course time to match the tides! For that reason, delegates are invited to join the full one day course and gain from extended training but at a reduced cost.
Your practical refresher training will include
- Donning a life jacket
- Donning and use of an immersion suit
- Safely jumping from a height into the water
- Righting an inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket
- Swimming while wearing a life jacket
- Keeping afloat
- Boarding a liferaft from ship and water while wearing a life jacket
- Taking initial actions on boarding a liferaft to enhance chance of survival
- Streaming a drogue or sea anchor
- Operating location devices, including radio equipment
Both practical and classroom instruction is delivered at the Red Ensign training facility in Cowes.
You should be over 18 years of age and be in possession of an existing STCW Personal Survival Techniques certificate to take advantage of the reduced price for the refresher training.