Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD)
2,875 ZAR(incl. VAT)
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ Designated Security Duties
- Training School:
- Certified Superyacht Academy
- Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
- 2 days
The Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD) certification is required by crew who have been designated a security duty onboard their vessel. This applies to ALL Superyacht crew and should be completed in place of the Proficiency in Security Awareness (PSA) course.
Staying safe at sea, is one of the most important aspects of Superyacht / Yacht / Vessel training. In comparison to larger commercial vessels, Superyacht’s have less crew and therefore do not have the luxury of relying on a specialised security team onboard.
Guidance from the MCA is that, in the case of a security threat on a Superyacht, almost all crew members would have to carry out some form of security-related duty. As a way to deter Pirates and protect the vessel and her crew, it has now become mandatory for all crew onboard ISPS compliant vessels (including Superyachts), to undergo security training in line with the STCW code.
Internationally recognized security training for Superyacht Crew has been broken down into 2 categories:
- Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD)
- Proficiency in Security Awareness (PSA)
After much research (incl. Captains & Yacht Management companies) and in addition to guidance from the MCA, it has been found to be more beneficial to gain the higher, Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD) certification. For Superyacht Crew, this means you will not have to re-do / upgrade your security training if you are designated a security related duty down the line. And in not having to do so, will save costs, time and gain a competitive edge by having a higher certification.
Course Outline (in accordance with the IMO and SAMSA Codes):
- Module One: Maintain conditions set out in a Ship Security Plan
- Module Two: Recognition of Security Risk and Threats
- Module Three: Undertake Regular Security Inspections of the Ship
- Module Four: Proper usage of Security Equipment and Systems, if any