Shipboard Safety Officer
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ Shipboard Safety Officer
- Training School:
- LJMU Maritime Centre
- Birkenhead, Wirral, United Kingdom
- 3 days
- Age at least 18 years
- Seatime at least 12 months
Active participation in group exercises and an end of course assessment based on short answer questions.
Various tools to aid learning are used such as lectures, discussions, videos and scenario based group exercises
MCA in compliance with the MNTB standard
This 3 day course is designed for both the experienced safety officers as well as for those who need training to take this role on. The course is equally useful for safety representatives to give them an insight of their role on-board ships. The course utilises the MCA’s COSWP (Code of Safe Working Practice for Merchant Seafarers) and is delivered under the UK’s Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Health and Safety at Work) Regulations as applicable to a Safety Officer’s role.
The course objectives as per the MNTB standard are to cover the requirements for:
- Carrying out the role of a ship’s safety officer.
- Carrying out risk assessment and accident reporting.
- Carrying out safety audits and inspections.
- Creating a safety culture aboard ship through teamwork and raising awareness.
Upon successful completion of the course, all candidates are issued with Shipboard Safety Officer Course certificate which covers the ISM Code requirement to undertake training prior to being assigned the role of safety officer on-board a ship.