Navigation ARPA and Radar (Mater, Yacht)
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ Master (Yachts) - Navigation, Radar and ARPA Simulator
- Training School:
- LJMU Maritime Centre
- Birkenhead, Wirral, United Kingdom
- 10 days
Master (Yachts) – Navigation and ARPA Simulator
- Appropriate seatime to obtain NOE from MCA
- ECDIS Course Certificate
Candidates’ knowledge is assessed throughout the course to prepare them for the final written IAMI examination and assessment of navigational skills in the simulator. Candidates must pass the simulator assessment to be eligible for the 2.5 hours written examination in which candidates must obtain at least 60% marks to pass.
Classroom theory sessions complemented by practical ship handling exercises in ship handling simulators.
This course is designed to prepare candidates for their Master (Yachts) – Navigation and ARPA Simulator written examination. The following topics are covered:
- Passage Planning
- the Collision Regulations,
- Radar and ARPA
- ECDIS and AIS
- Search and Rescue (IAMSAR)
Practical simulator exercises occupy significant time where candidate practise and demonstrate their competency in planning and monitoring techniques, blind pilotage, collision avoidance and Search and Rescue. The simulator based assessment will consist of:
- Preparing a detailed passage plan for a passage, in estuarial or coastal waters.
- A series of simulator exercises demonstrating competence in general navigation including the use of electronic navigational aids (radar, ARPA and ECDIS) and a thorough understanding and application of the IRPCS (ColRegs).
- Candidates are recommended to study the course notes prior to attending the course. These notes can be provided to candidate upon request and after confirmation of booking.
Upon course completion, candidates receive a ‘course completion’ certificate which is a pre-requisite for sitting the written examination held on the final day of this 10 day course.