Superyacht Deckhand Course (Including STCW)
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ Superyacht packages
- Training School:
- Flying Fish UK
- Cowes, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
- 15 days
If you would like to travel the world then a job on a Superyacht could be what you are looking for. Our Superyacht Deckhand Course gives you everything you need to start looking for work as a Deckhand.
Working as a Deckhand on a Superyacht is a job like no other. You will spend your days earning money working in the sunshine onboard an incredible yacht in some of the most amazing destinations in the world! To work onboard a Superyacht you’ll need to be hardworking and prepared to be away from home for long periods, but there are fantastic opportunities to advance your career for the right individuals!
Funding your new career
Would you like to pay for your course on finance? A growing number of customers want the option to spread the course fees giving your wallet a bit of breathing space. If this is you then Flying Fish are now able to offer customers the option to spread payment over 12 months in the form of an interest-free finance agreement. Please contact us to find out more.
Superyacht Deckhand Course
One of our most popular programme, the Superyacht Deckhand Course includes all the skills and qualifications you need to start your new career. The course starts with STCW Basic Safety Training, VHF Radio, and PDSD (for crew with any security role onboard).
The second phase of the course is designed around the role of a Deckhand, to teach you your role on board. During this week you will cover everything from rope work to wash downs, cleaning, and repairing teak.
Preparing your CV
Having a perfect CV is one of the most important factors in landing that first job. We help you prepare, format, and write your CV during the course, including getting that all-important photo! We run a session on working in the industry that covers everything from paying tax to what to pack. Flying Fish customers benefit from our exclusive recruitment day in Antibes, run by one of our team who has worked in the industry for over 15 years.
Learn to drive a motorboat
The tenders (a smaller boat to accompany the yacht) on today’s Superyachts are getting bigger and bigger, with that in mind Flying Fish now includes a one-day motorboat handling course on our 36′ twin-engine motorboat. While onboard you will show you how to handle lines, drive a twin-engine yacht, anchor, navigate as well as the general engine maintenance and housekeeping expected on a larger yacht.
If you have never set foot on a motorboat then this is a great opportunity to pick up some valuable skills.
Where to stay
If you choose our accommodation option, the Flying Fish crew houses in Cowes are comfortable and centrally located. Just a 2-minute walk to the town and our training centre, this will take the stress out of finding your own accommodation. You will be able to mix and socialise with other people on the course who, like you, will be starting a career in the Superyacht industry.
Two weeks of self-catering accommodation costs £580.
Have you completed an ENG1 Medical?
All crew who want to work on a Superyacht are required to hold an ENG1 Medical. We recommend you complete the ENG1 Medical before the start of your course, as it confirms you are fit to go to sea.
Why train with Flying Fish?
- Flying Fish limits student numbers to small groups. This means you have the opportunity for one-to-one time with our expert Instructors.
- Flying Fish are always happy to tailor your programme, elements can be added or removed.
- We provide shared self-catering accommodation in crew houses 5-minute’s from our training centre in Cowes.
- Flying Fish offers a free and exclusive Recruitment Event in Antibes. This event not only hooks you up with crew agents and helps you seek employment, we also give you knowledge on the local area and how to live there on a budget! Over a week’s worth of knowledge wrapped into one day!
No need to take our word for it, check out what our past students have to say about their time with Flying Fish! We are rated 5* on Google, from over 200 reviews!
- STCW Basic Safety Training
- Superyacht Deckhand Certificate
- MCA Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (PDSD) course
- RYA Powerboat Level 2
- RYA Personal Watercraft Course (PWC)
- RYA VHF Radio
- RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance
- Ropework, essential knots and splicing
- Maintenance day, teak work, repairs, washdowns, cleaning the stainless yacht maintenance
- One-day boat handling course
- CV Clinic, industry guidance and mentoring with one of our experts
- Industry preparation day with one of our experts
- Superyacht Recruitment Event in Antibes
- Small student groups for a personal approach and one-to-one time
You must be 18 years old or older to train with Flying Fish.
The course is suitable for complete beginners or those with experience who are looking to work as a Deckhand on a commercial yacht.
To work on a Superyacht you will need to complete an ENG1 Medical and we recommend you complete this prior to the start of your course, though this is not essential.
This course is available on the following days:
(please check the availability with the training school)
- 16 October 2023
- 30 October 2023
- 13 November 2023
- 27 November 2023