Efficient Deck Hand (EDH)
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ EDH (Efficient Deck Hand)
- Training School:
- Warsash Maritime School
- Southampton, United Kingdom
- 5 days
A theoretical and practical course that enables an understanding of shipboard organisation and operations, pilot ladders and means of access, cargo work, safety and seamanship, including knots, splicing and whipping and seizing.
What you'll learn
- Shipboard organisation and operations - Shipboard organisation, parts of a vessel, deck equipment, lookout reporting, helm orders, anchoring and mooring arrangements.
- Pilot ladders and means of access - Rigging a pilot ladder, means of access, and boarding arrangements.
- Cargo work - Hatch covers, derricks and cranes, blocks and tackles, containers, and securing arrangements.
- Safety - COSWOP, IMO safety signs, enclosed spaces, fire extinguishers, and lifeboat and liferaft launching.
- Seamanship - Rope types and construction, knots, bends and hitches, rigging a bosun’s chair and stage, rope and wire splicing, whipping and seizing, parcelling, and serving.
At the end of your training you should have the knowledge to:
- Perform in a safe working environment on board ship
- Perform a range of seamanship tasks effectively
- And have a working knowledge of COWSP