Shipboard Safety Officer
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ Shipboard Safety Officer
- Training School:
- Warsash Maritime School
- Southampton, United Kingdom
- 3 days
This course is suitable for seafarers who are about to serve, or are already serving, as either safety representatives or safety officers. It provides theoretical and practical training to allow you to undertake the duties of a shipboard safety officer, as detailed by the MCA.
The course addresses both accident prevention and accident investigation.
This training is intended to meet the requirements set out in The Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Health and Safety at Work) Regulations and the Code of Safe Working Practice for Merchant Seafarers (CoSWP).
What you'll learn
On completion of the course you should have the knowledge to:
- understand the duties of the SSO,
- have considered the legal framework for safety,
- understand the relationship between the ISM code, safety management on board ship,
- have an overview of the ISM code,
- have considered the causes of accidents,
- understand the process and limitations of risk assessment,
- have considered the accident investigation process,
- understand the importance of appropriate interviewing technique, and
- have considered factors influencing the effectiveness of safety committee meetings.
You must have served at sea for at least 12 months and be at least 18 years old.