Proficiency in Designated Security Duties
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ Designated Security Duties
- Training School:
- Warsash Maritime Academy
- Warsash, Southampton, United Kingdom
- 1 day
This one day course is designed to give those undertaking designated security duties on board ship the essential education and training.
The programme meets the knowledge, understanding and proficiency (KUP) requirements set out in the STCW table A-VI/6-2, which supports Chapter XI-2 of the annex to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) 1974, as amended and the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code.
The five outcomes of the training will enable the student to:
- Know why ship security is important and know the roles and responsibilities of the organisations and individuals involved
- Understand what constitutes security risk, threat and vulnerability to the ship, its personnel, cargo and operations
- Know the capabilities and limitations of security methods, equipment and systems
- Know how to maintain the measures in a ship security plan and related requirements
- Be able to maintain the effectiveness of security arrangements, procedures and equipment at the three security levels, taking into account their limitations.