Deck Cadet - Higher National Diploma Programme
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ OOW (Deck)
- Training School:
- Warsash Maritime Academy
- Warsash, Southampton, United Kingdom
The Academy offers a full deck officer cadet programme by a Higher National Diploma (HND) route, leading ultimately to the award of a UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Deck Officer’s Certificate of Competency (STCW’95 II/I OOW), and the Higher National Diploma (HND) in Nautical Science.
The scheme consists of five phases (usually over three-and-a-half years), three spent at the Academy and two at sea gaining practical experience. The training consists of four distinct but complementary elements:
- An HE entry course at the Academy, designed to prepare new entrants for study at HND level.
- Academic education at the Academy to attain the HND in Nautical Science and the underpinning knowledge (UPK) requirements for the MCA/SQA written examinations.
- Practical training on board ship, including completion of an MNTB Training Record Book. This enables candidates to develop the professional competency needed for initial certification by the UK’s MCA.
- In addition to the academic studies, the MCA requires officer cadets to take a number of safety and survival courses during their cadetship.
A) Sponsorship from a shipping company to gain sea service.
B) Holds the minimum academic entry qualifications:
- Four GCSEs grade C or above, including the following subjects: Maths (preferably Higher Tier), English, Science (with Physical Science content).
C) A valid personal medical fitness certificate recognised by the MCA.