Engineer Cadet - Foundation Degree Programme
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ OOW (Engine)
- Training School:
- Warsash Maritime Academy
- Warsash, Southampton, United Kingdom
The Academy offers a full engineer officer cadet programme by a degree route, leading ultimately to the award of a UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Engineer Officer’s Certificate of Competency (STCW A-III/I OOW), a Foundation Degree (FdEng) in Marine Engineering and a direct top-up pathway to BEng (Hons) Marine Engineering and Management.
The scheme consists of five phases (usually over three years), three spent at the Academy for academic delivery and two at sea gaining practical experience. The education and training programme consists of four distinct but complementary elements:
- Academic education at the Academy in conjunction with work-based learning aboard ship to attain the Foundation Degree in Marine Engineering, which provides a direct top-up pathway to the BEng (Hons) Marine Engineering Management.
- Engineering workshop skills training at the Academy to MNTB-approved standard.
- Practical training on board ship, including completion of an MNTB Training Record Book. This enables cadets to develop the professional competency needed for initial certification by the MCA.
- In addition to the academic studies, the MCA requires officer cadets to take a number of safety and survival courses during their cadetship.
A) Sponsorship from a shipping company to gain sea service.
B) Holds the minimum academic entry qualifications:
- A minimum of 120 UCAS tariff points, including a numerate subject
- Five GCSEs Grade C or above in the following subjects: Maths (preferably Higher Tier), English, Science (with Physical Science content).
C) A valid personal medical fitness certificate recognised by the MCA.