Engineer Cadet - Higher National Diploma Programme
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ OOW (Engine)
- Training School:
- Warsash Maritime Academy
- Warsash, Southampton, United Kingdom
The Academy offers a full engineer officer cadet programme by a Higher National Diploma (HND) route, leading ultimately to the award of a UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) Engineer Officer’s Certificate of Competency (STCW’95 III/I OOW),and the Higher National Diploma (HND) in Marine Engineering.
The scheme consists of five phases (usually over three years), three spent at the Academy and two at sea gaining practical experience. The training consists of five distinct but complementary elements:
- An HE entry course at the Academy, designed to prepare new entrants for study at HND level.
- Engineering workshop skills training at the Academy to MNTB-approved standard.
- Academic education at the Academy to attain the HND in marine engineering and satisfy the underpinning knowledge (UPK) requirements for the IAMI written exams.
- Practical training on board ship, including completion of an MNTB Training Record Book. This enables cadets to develop the professional competency needed for initial certification by the MCA.
- In addition to the academic studies, the MCA requires officer cadets to take a number of safety and survival courses during their cadetship.
A) Sponsorship from a shipping company to gain sea service.
B) Holds the minimum academic entry qualifications:
- Four GCSEs Grade C or above including the following subjects: Maths (preferably Higher Tier), English, Science (with Physical Science content).
C) A valid personal medical fitness certificate recognised by the MCA.