Human Element, Leadership and Management at Management Level (HELM Management)
£550 GBP(incl. VAT)
- Course Type:
- STCW ➜ HELM (Management)
- Training School:
- City of Glasgow College
- Glasgow, United Kingdom
- 5 days
This MCA approved course provides all Masters and Officers with the required education and training in Human Element Leadership and Management. The course meets the knowledge, understanding and proficiency (KUP) requirements set out in the following:
Table A-II/2 (Masters and Chief Mates on ships of 500 gross tonnage or more).
Table AIII/2 (Chief Engineer Officers and Second Engineer Officers on ships powered by main propulsion machinery of 750kW or more).
Minimum entry requirements
You must hold a deck, or engineering certificate of competency at the operational level and meet the minimum seagoing service requirements for the issue of a management level Certificate of Competency.
What you study
You'll study bridge resource and ship management skills and leadership skills through practical and theoretical exercises. There'll be a combination of interactive activities, practical group work sessions and multimedia work.
- Shipboard Human Resource Management.
- Applying the Elements of Task and Workload Management.
- Project Management and Decision Making.
- Leadership and Management Attributes.
- Use of Effective Communications Onboard and Ashore.
- Identifying Cultural Aspects.
- Recognising Teams.
- Roles and Responsibilities of a Team Leader.
- Use of Assertiveness, Leadership and Motivation Principles.
- Goal Setting.
- Understanding, Developing and Maintaining Situational Awareness.
- Creative Thinking and Problem Solving Strategies.
- Risk Assessment.
- Benefits of Shipboard Training, Mentoring and Continuous Professional Development.