Gulf Coast Maritime Academy (USCG Approved Training Center for United States Mariners)
Terms and Conditions
All courses require a minimum of 20% deposit to secure a seat in a scheduled course.
Course Student Minimum is six (6) Students. All courses are subject to change and cancelation due to lack of student registration
Shipboard Firefighting Practical Assessment: Student Guidelines
- Students should be in good physical condition.
- Due to the strenuous nature of class activities, you should secure a professional evaluation of your physical condition prior to enrolling in this course.
- Full length pants, shirts that cover the shoulder and enclosed shoes are required.
- The total weight of a firefighter's PPE depends on the tools needed for the job, but basic PPE (helmet, hood, pants, coat, gloves, boots and air pack) weighs about 45 pounds. Add a thermal imaging camera, radio, box light and set of irons (Halligan bar and axe) and you're up to about 75 pounds.
- Some evolutions will be performed in zero to limited visibility.
- Limited visibility requires the student to crawl during some evolutions. (Estimated distance 80’.)
- Students must be clean shaven. Moustaches must not extend into the interface of the mask and the face.